Have you ever wondered about the importance of following gum care tips for better oral health? Our mouth is home to billions of bacteria that can build up plaque and cause tooth decay, leading to periodontal or gum diseases. To prevent this, maintaining good oral hygiene is a must.
There are many simple gum care tips for better oral health, but most people tend to overlook these and fail to realize the consequences of doing so. Simple things like brushing regularly post meals, flossing daily, and using antimicrobial mouthwashes can go a long way in keeping bacteria out of our mouth. Besides, following a healthy diet low in starchy and sugary foods can also help keep our gums healthy:
- Brush twice a day for two minutes each time, but don’t avoid brushing aggressively. Using dental floss is another easy way to keep the gums and teeth healthy and free from bacteria. It helps remove plaque, but you need to know the right technique for brushing. It is important to brush using circular motions and ensure that the top, back, and front of every tooth is cleaned. If you brush vigorously, your gums and enamel may be affected, leading to tooth sensitivity, gum erosion, and damage to the teeth’s enamel.
- A very effective gum care tip for better oral health is to use a mouthwash or toothpaste with fluoride to keep cavities away. When a tooth-cleaning product does not have fluoride, your tooth may decay after a while. So, no matter how often you brush or floss, it will not help unless the products contain fluoride.
- Flossing once every day is a good practice as it helps get rid of bacteria and plaque from your mouth. It is an effective remedy for bad breath as it removes any food particles stuck between your teeth.
- Regular dentist appointments help maintain your gum health. The dentist can detect any oral health issues before they become severe. Ideally, you should pay a visit to your dentist twice a year to get your teeth cleaned and plague removed professionally.
- Those who smoke face a greater risk of developing oral health issues. Smoking affects the immune system and the healing process of the body is delayed, especially inside the mouth. This makes smoking one of the prime causes of gum problems. It can also lead to your teeth developing a yellow color and trigger a bad odor.
- Using a mouthwash regularly may help you keep your gums clean and healthy. Mouthwashes contain chlorhexidine, which is an antibacterial agent and controls plaque. However, they cannot be a substitute for regular flossing and brushing.
- Apart from using oral health-friendly products, you should make certain changes in your daily diet to prevent cavities. Consuming excess sugar causes cavities and other dental problems, so it’s best to cut down on sugary and starchy foods like desserts and candies and processed foods containing added sugar.
- Another gum care tip for better oral health is to drink adequate water for proper hydration. Sugary beverages can harm your dental health, so unsweetened tea or water are the best alternatives when you are thirsty.